I needed to make a cake for a family birthday celebration last week. This gets very complicated due to the fact that although my family usually isn’t very picky, when it comes to cake, they are impossible. One doesn’t like lemon or lime flavor, another doesn’t like chocolate, another doesn’t like coconut – it’s nuts. So I decided to go the easy route and make white cake with white frosting.
If I was going to go with such a simple cake, I decided that I needed to find a really killer recipe. I turned to my favorite recipe website – Allrecipes.com, and searched. I came across this recipe: Simple White Cake Recipe – Allrecipes.com. 4 Stars and 1,446 reviews and it looked like a winner. The non-web link recipe is below.
Wow! It was really good. I doubled it and it filled two round cake pans. It was sweet, but not overly so. The outside was a little crispy an the inside was really moist. I frosted it with this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/vanilla-buttercream-frosting-from-sprinkles-cupcakes-222188 which was amazing.
My attempt at decorating consisted of round colored sprinkles from the grocery store, but unless it looks like it was fished out of a garbage can it’s the taste that is important – right? I didn’t take pictures, but I will make it again soon and add to this post.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
In a bowl combine butter, sugar and salt. Beat till blended.
Add the milk and vanilla and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.